Former National Lands Commission (NLC) chairman Muhammad Swazuri will spend Easter in custody pending a bail ruling set for Tuesday next week.
Swazuri was arraigned with 10 others before Magistrate Lawrence Mugambi on Friday and pleaded not guilty.
Some of them include:
- Emma Njogu (NLC Commisioner)
- Tom Aziz Chavangi (NLC Chief Executive Officer)
- Salome Ludenyi Munubi (NLC Director Valuation and Taxation)
- Francis Karimi Mugo (NLC Director Finance)
- Catherine Wanjiru Chege (T/A.C W. Chege and Company Advocates)
- Samuel Rugongo Muturi (Businessman)
- Sostenah Ogero Taracha (Businessman)
They were charged with abuse office, conspiracy to commit economic crimes, money laundering among other counts.
13 other suspects are yet to appear at the Milimani Law Courts.
It is alleged that there was illegal compensation of land that the NLC acquired for the construction of a road in Mombasa.
An audit report indicated that the Kenyan taxpayer lost around Ksh.4billion in the scam.
Evidence showed that fake compensation claims, double payments, over payments, inflation of land values and payment of people whose land was never on the corridor were used to loot taxpayer’s money.
Following the arrests, crucial data which was key to the investigations is said to have disappeared after a break-in at the NLC offices in Nairobi.
The post Swazuri, 10 other suspects to spend Easter holiday in custody appeared first on Citizentv.co.ke.